Ioji Temple was founded in 826 and features a Buddhist statue of the ‘Yakushi Nyorai’ (Buddha of Medicine) that was carved by the founder of Shingon Buddhism, Kobo Daishi (also known as Kukai). The temple was used by the Sato household who were the administrators of the Shinobu district (the former name of the Fukushima City area) in the late Heian Period (794-1185). Sato Motoharu (1113-1189) was a religious man who expanded the grounds and built more structures so that the feudal lord in nearby Otori Castle could look down upon the temple. You can also visit the former site of Otori Castle in Tatenoyama Park in Iizaka Onsen.
The temple was also visited by the famous poet Matsuo Basho in 1689.
|Open||8:30 am ~ 5:00 pm (Closes early during winter)|
Access from Fukushima Station
Train: Iizaka Line (Fukushima Kotsu)
|From||Fukushima Station (Fukushima Kotsu)|
|To||Ioji-mae Station (医王寺前)|
|Time||19 min (+12 min walk)|
Rental Bicycle: Free and paid rental service from Iizaka Onsen Station
・Hanamomo no Sato (1.8 km)
・Iizaka Onsen Station (1.9 km)
・Kyu Horikiri-tei (2.1 km)
・Nakano Fudoson (2.9 km)
・Ioji Temple Homepage (English)
・Fukushima City Tourism and Convention Association (Japanese)